Binfield FC Match Report – FA Cup win for The Moles

Here is your Binfield FC Match Report from their 2-0 FA Cup preliminary round victory over near neighbours Wokingham & Emmbrook on Friday 18th August.

Binfield FC Match Report – The Moles’ FA Cup journey continues after a strong and professional performance against Wokingham & Emmbrook. A long-range effort from skipper Dan Lewis on the stroke of half-time and a late Noah Chengun finish was enough to put the Moles into the next round of the FA Cup not forgetting some outstanding saves from Harvey Rackley-Hayes.

The game started very evenly with Michael Stanic-Stewart and Ben Stallard looking to try and control the midfield battle. Binfield were handed a golden opportunity when new signing Dontaye Whittaker took advantage of a misplaced place by the Wokingham & Emmbrook defence and was brought down in the area. Whittaker himself stepped up but was denied by Emilo Fantocchio diving to his left with the ball rolling across the goal and past the right post.

Rackley-Hayes then produced the first part of a stunning performance with some incredible saves to keep the Moles level. First, he comfortably tipped Jake Woods’ free kick over the bar and then an outstanding save low down to his right to deny Michael O’Connor from close range.

This produced a launchpad for Binfield who were close to an opener when Stallard linked up with Max Drake down the right but Whittaker couldn’t turn his cross goal wards.

Binfield opened the scoring right on half time. Captain Dan Lewis stepped up through midfield and was allowed to drive 30 yards before his deflected effort looped over Fantocchio and into the back of the net. The ‘griddy’ celebration needs a bit of work however.

Binfield started the second half the better team stringing passes together and creating many opportunities but not able to find the right pass in the final third. Substitute Zaid Hannachi had a great chance to double the Moles lead after being slipped through by Noah Chengun but his shot was just tuned wide.

Whilst the lead was only one, Wokingham & Emmbrook were still pushing for an equaliser and another fine save by Rackley-Hayes kept Binfield ahead.

The victory was wrapped up in the 90th minute when Noah Chengun showed great strength to hold off the Wokingham & Emmbrook defence and then was able to poke the ball home. 

Strength and fight shown by the Moles has lead to them being in the hat for the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup. A trip to Badshot Lea on Tuesday in the Velocity Cup is next up for Binfield looking to build on this strong performance.

You can also watch manager Garry Haylock’s reaction, over on our Youtube channel NOW!